The Director is authorized to accept students from university-approved teacher-training programs to do student teaching in DAOES No individual who has been convicted of a criminal offense listed in Section 5/21B-80 of the School Code is permitted to student teach or complete field or other clinical experience.
Before permitting an individual to student teach or participate in any field experience at DAOES, the Director or designee shall ensure that:
A complete criminal history records check pursuant to 105 ILCS 5/10-21.9 shall include:
- DAOES performed a complete criminal history records check as described below; and
- The individual furnished evidence of physical fitness to perform assigned duties and freedom from communicable disease pursuant to 105 ILCS 5/24-5.
- Fingerprint-based checks through (a) the Illinois State Police (ISP) for criminal history records information (CHRI) pursuant to the Uniform Conviction Information Act (20 ILCS 2635/1), and (b) the FBI national crime information databases pursuant to the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act (P.L. 109-248);
- A check of the Illinois Sex Offender Registry (see the Sex Offender Community Notification Law (730 ILCS 152/101 et seq.); and
- A check of the Illinois Murderer and Violent Offender Against Youth Registry (Murderer and Violent Offender Against Youth Community Notification Law (730 ILCS 154/75-105, amended by 97-154).
Each student teacher must provide written authorization for, and pay the costs of, his or her criminal history records check (including any applicable vendor’s fees), and the Director or designee will provide each student teacher with a copy of his or her report.
The Director or designee shall be responsible for coordinating placements of all student teachers within DAOES. Student teachers should be assigned to supervising teachers whose qualifications are acceptable to DAOES and the students’ respective colleges or universities. A teacher may be eligible for Continuing Professional Development Units (CPDU) for supervising a student teacher or teacher education candidate in clinical supervision.
|LEGAL REF.:||Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act, P.L. 109-248. |
Uniform Conviction Information Act, 20 ILCS 2635/1.
105 ILCS 5/21-14(e)(3)(E)(viii), 5/10-22.34, and 5/24-5.
23 Ill.Admin.Code §25.875.
|CROSS REF.:||5:190 (Teacher Qualifications), 4:175 (Convicted Child Sex Offender; Criminal Background Check and/or Screen; Notifications)|
|ADOPTED:||December 18, 2014|