The powers and duties of the Board generally include:
- Formulating, adopting, and/or modifying Board policies, at its sole discretion, subject only to mandatory collective bargaining agreements and State and federal law.
- Employing a Director and other personnel, making employment decisions, and dismissing personnel.
- Directing, through policy, the Director, in his or her charge of the District’s administration.
- Approving the annual budget, major expenditures, payment of obligations, annual audit, and other aspects of the District’s financial operation;
- Letting contracts utilizing the public bidding procedure when required;
- Providing, constructing, controlling, supervising, and maintaining adequate physical facilities;
- Approving the curriculum, textbooks, and educational services;
- Evaluating the educational program;
- Establishing and supporting student discipline policies designed to maintain an environment conducive to learning, including hearing individual student suspension or expulsion cases brought before it.
- Establishing the school year;
- Providing programs and services designed to meet the vocational educational needs of youth and adults; and
- Complying with requirements in the Abused and Neglected Child Reporting Act. Specifically, each individual Board member must, if an allegation is raised to the member during an open or closed Board meeting that a student is an abused child as defined in the Act, direct or cause the Board to direct the Director or other equivalent administrator to comply with the Act’s requirements concerning the reporting of child abuse.
- Communicating the schools’ activities and operations to the community.
LEGAL REF.: 105 ILCS 5/2-3.25d, 5/10-1 et seq., 5/17-1, and 5/27-1.
115 ILCS 5/1 et seq.
325 ILCS 5/4.
CROSS REF.: 2:240 (Board Policy Development), 5:90 (Abused and Neglected Child Reporting)
ADOPTED: June 16, 2011